This site is basically targeting all of you book lovers out there who may be in the process of looking for a great book to read! I have a lot of things to say, so sit back and enjoy a quick peek inside some amazing works of art. This site is also for authors. if you would like to have your book considered for review, please email me at ashley.denis@maine.edu <3 Ashley


Tuesday, August 12, 2008

POISONWOOD BIBLE-BARBARA KINGSOLVER

I did not do a formal review on frontstreet.com for this book, but I thought I would talk about it anyways. My cousin from Colorado had to read "The Poisonwood Bible" for a class and answer some questions about it and she asked me to read it as well so we could work on the questions together. I finally finished it at work last night. I thought it was pretty good, but I remember a few years ago it was like this big deal, and I'm not seeing that.

I really like how Barbara Kingsolver broke up "chapters" by using all four sisters and their mother as separate narrators. By doing it this way, I felt as though we really got to get to know each character, their flaws, their strengths, etc. Since the book was over 400 pages, I think this was key so that the readers didn't get bored.

If this book is bordering on truth, which I am assuming it is, then I really learned a lot a bout Africa, the Congo, etc. It was really neat to learn about their culture, how they survive, how many of them don't survive, and then to put all of that in perspective about how we live everyday and what we take for granite. I really think this is a great book to have high school age children read because it shows them that there is a different world out there and that here in America we really have it made. For a lot of teenagers, the biggest crisis in their life is to keep up with their friends when it comes to clothing, and all of the latest gadgets, who has the most hip hair style, etc.

Has anyone else read this book? Did you have any favorite parts? Any parts you didn't like?

On another note, I know that I have been lacking lately with posting on here...I promise I will start to do it more often! I had about 63 family members from all over the US come up to Maine to visit out at our family camp this year and it was soooo hectic for a few weeks. My grandparents were the last to go and they just left on Friday, so things are starting to get back to normal! I hope you all can forgive me, stay patient, and continue to visit my site! :-)

1 comment:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I read Poisonwood a number of years ago. It was compelling and all but impossible to put down, but there were things about it I didn't like.

Still, it's on my Do Recommend list, just because it's such compulsive reading.