This site is basically targeting all of you book lovers out there who may be in the process of looking for a great book to read! I have a lot of things to say, so sit back and enjoy a quick peek inside some amazing works of art. This site is also for authors. if you would like to have your book considered for review, please email me at ashley.denis@maine.edu <3 Ashley


Saturday, February 16, 2008

Mating in Captivity-Unlocking Erotic Intelligence

Well folks sorry for the delay in posting more reviews, had kind of a dry spell with this book. Don't get me wrong, it was really informative, and for those of you going through a rough patch in your sex life, this is your new holy bible. Since I am currently not having any problems in that department, I got a big head and rolled my eyes at some of the things Esther Perel said....A few years from now I'm sure I'll be eating my words.
Here is the review! Enjoy!


Mating in Captivity-Unlocking Erotic Intelligence
Esther Perel
February 2008

This is a very dynamic book that is quite an eye opener for anyone who is in a relationship. The author, Esther Perel is a couple’s therapist who takes her experience in life, and with her clients and puts it all together in her book. Not only is this book filled with great information, but you also get a glimpse inside of the complicated, less than perfect lives of some real human beings.
Broken up into topics, each chapter helps to answer questions relating to intimacy, eroticism, sex, seduction, etc. We used to have sex all the time, so why do I find myself waning? Why am I not turned on by him anymore? Why is it that the more I fall in love with her, the less I want to have sex? These are just a few of the questions that Esther Perel answers in her book. One of the most astounding pieces of information I found was that sometimes when you get comfortable in your relationship, you move in together, and get into a routine, sex becomes boring and you stop having it as much as you did when you first met. This is so frustrating for couples and they yearn for answers. Esther Perel explains that it is because you cannot have eroticism and security at the same time. What makes things hot is the unknown, the unsafe, the mystery, etc.
This book does a variety of things for its reader. It validates their feelings, it opens their eyes, and it can strengthen a relationship by giving it new ideas. All of that is what makes this book so dynamic. This isn’t one of those books you pick up for a good read, or one that is going to put you and your lover in the mood for sex, this is an educational book that takes you on a tour into your own relationship and helps to show you where it needs some tweaking. For some people it is a crystal ball that will show them what is to come.
I would recommend this book to anyone out there that is in a relationship, no matter how good or bad your relationship currently is. This is worth reading. As the saying goes, “knowledge is power”.
you can also check out my reviews at www.frontstreetreviews.com

Is there anyone out there who sees this as a possible salvation to their dried up sex life? if any of you are willing to buck up and talk I'm sure we can get an interesting conversation going! I look forward to hearing from you!

2 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

You got a big head? Then, indeed, you don't need this book.

*snicker*

(you know, I almost let Trevor leave this comment...)

ashley's booktopia said...

hahaha ;-) bring it on Trevor!!!