This site is basically targeting all of you book lovers out there who may be in the process of looking for a great book to read! I have a lot of things to say, so sit back and enjoy a quick peek inside some amazing works of art. This site is also for authors. if you would like to have your book considered for review, please email me at ashley.denis@maine.edu <3 Ashley


Saturday, December 20, 2008

THE LONG ROAD HOME-LAUREN N. SHARMAN

I think what caught my interest the most about his book was that the story line was unlike anything I have ever read before. Although there was a bit of romance in the story, the main focus was reuniting a girl with her long lost family; her brothers to be exact.
I found myself in love with the characters, and rooting for everything to work out. It really touched my heart. It was nice to read about a family that was so troubled, and went through so much, and in the end for everything to work out.

Below is my review I did. for more of my reviews and others, go to www.frontstreetreviews.com


Being the final book in the McCassey series did not confuse me at all when I decided to read this book first. I am not entirely sure what the other books in the series were about, but I feel that I did not need to read them ahead of time in order to completely enjoy this book. Lauren Sharman did an excellent job with her characters and told an amazing story.
Georgia McCassey has lived a hard life. At the age of nineteen she has endured more than most have in their entire lives. She was taken away from her mother at the age of fifteen by her abusive father as revenge against her mother. Dolan McCassey raped his daughter, got her hooked on drugs, and whored her out for money. Finally seeing her chance, Georgia leaves his apartment in search of her three older brothers that she has heard so much about, but never actually met
Georgia does not intend on actually meeting them because she feels the things she has done in her past would make them ashamed of her, so she decides to just get a good look at them so she can put a face to their names. The situation changes when they catch her looking at them while they work at their garage. Georgia suddenly finds herself immersed in their world; some of it good, some of it scary. She must fight her demons inside herself and decide if she will be able to believe that she is actually good enough to be around her new family and change her life around for the better.
Lauren Sharman creates a world of wonderfully believable characters. They are rough around the edges, far from perfect, but every bit as lovable. She is able to show her readers just what family is all about; watching each other’s backs and making sacrifices in the name of love. I did not have a favorite character because I loved them all. I was able to finish this book in one sitting because there seemed to be no part in the story that I was willing to walk away from and take a break.
Lauren Sharman also seems to have a knack for clarity in her words. I never once was confused. Her story was very straight forward, moved at a steady rhythm and never once got boring. These are the kinds of stories that I love to read; the organization and planning of this story is apparent on every page. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good read and who has time to tuck in and read it start to finish.

3 comments:

Lauren Sharman said...

Hello Ashley! Happy holidays :)

This is Lauren Sharman...author of The Long Road Home (The Final McCassey Brother's Book).
I just wanted to extend a heartfelt, 'thank you' to you for the wonderful review you awarded the book.

Georgia and her brothers are very, very close to my heart, and to know that someone else loves them as much as I do means a lot. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the story, and was thrilled that, since you are such an avid reader, I was able to create a story line unlike anything you've ever read. I take that as a very BIG compliment!

If you should ever read the other books in the series, No Worries (Rebel), The Devil's Candy (Blackie), & Dusty Rose (Judd), I would LOVE to hear what you think of the stories.

Again, thank you very, very much!

Lauren Sharman
www.LaurenSharman.com

ashley's booktopia said...

Thank you so much Lauren!
I actually did not know there were books about the McCassey brothers! I will definitly have to get them. I was so bummed that I only had 'The Long Road Home' in PDF format, because that is a book that I would read again and again so I think I may have to go out and buy it!
It's always nice to hear from the authors!
Thanks again for the nice note :-)
Happy Holidays to you!

Lauren Sharman said...

Yup, Ashley, all three of Georgia's blue collar bad boy big brothers have their own romantic suspense books!
I have not yet gotten feedback from a reader who read The Long Road Home first, and then went back and read the first three books. SO...I am VERY curious about your opinion on those stories.
Once again, thank you for the compliments on both the characters and the story!
Enjoy your holidays. I lived in NH for six looooooong years...and it took me another six just to thaw out once I moved back home to Maryland. Stay warm!