This site is basically targeting all of you book lovers out there who may be in the process of looking for a great book to read! I have a lot of things to say, so sit back and enjoy a quick peek inside some amazing works of art. This site is also for authors. if you would like to have your book considered for review, please email me at ashley.denis@maine.edu <3 Ashley


Wednesday, June 3, 2009

THE DEAD MAN-JOEL GOLDMAN

about a year ago I reviewed another book by this author called "Shakedown". Both books were awesome! I highly recommend his books if you are into mystery/murder type of books!


Jack has the shakes. This rare condition is here to stay, which is why the FBI put him into early retirement. Just because he no longer works for them does not mean he stays away from the drama.
When people keep winding up dead, Jack and his new found friend Lucy investigate. They find that all of these victims are connected to a dream study that is being conducted at the Harper Institute. Milo Harper is a billionaire who is funding the study. Jack soon learns that these people are dying in ways that are their own worst nightmares; literally. Due to being part of the dream study, documentation is done on the subjects’ worst, re-occurring nightmares.
Jack is not only fighting the clock to try and find the murderer before they strike again, but is also up against the entire FBI. They think Jack has knowledge that he isn’t sharing and think he is somehow involved in things. When his daughter died not long ago of a drug overdose, the FBI were pretty certain she stole 500k, and when she died they suspected Jack of pocketing the money for his own personal use. Jack now has to help find the killer before the FBI gets in his way, or even worse, arrests him.
Having read and reviewed Shakedown, I found I was just as impressed with this story. Joel Goldman has an uncanny knack for creating twists to the story that makes it almost impossible for the reader to predict who the killer is. Not many mystery/suspense writers can do that.
I love Joel Goldman’s characters. I feel as though he gives them just enough spunk and personality to allow the reader to make a solid connection with them. He does not go overboard with his descriptions, and for that, I am grateful.
As with Shakedown, I found that I loved his style of writing. It is clear, concise, and to the point. Joel Goldman leaves his readers hungry for more and left me turning page after page without wanting to take a break to get back to the real world around me. This is an exceptional talent to have.
Lastly, I loved the ending. I won’t give any of it away, but it truly put the icing on the cake. Just when I thought I couldn’t sing enough praise for this story, the ending made me want to sing an octave higher. It was unexpected and exhilarating! I would recommend this book to any and all mystery/suspense lovers. This is one that will not disappoint!

No comments: